Department Of Anaesthesiology & Critical Care, KGMU
Brief HistoryAn unit of Anaesthesiology started out in the Department of Surgery in the year 1911 and did yeomans service in the overall development and progress of modern surgical skills in this institution which is more than 100 years old.
In the year 1961, a separate chair for anaesthesiology was created, thus establishing the first separate department of Anaesthesiology in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Prof. RP Badola was appointed as the first head of department. Under his able guidance at that time two subspecialities viz Neuroanaesthesia and Pain Clinic was started.
After Prof. Badola (1961-73), Prof. S Yajnik (1973-92) became head of the department. Later Prof. TN Agarwal (1992-94), Prof. B K Singh (1994-2007), and Prof. Jaishri Bogra (2007-16) were successive head of the department. At present the Head of the Department is Prof. V.K.Bhatia
The post graduate programme has started with the establishment of the department, thus first batch of MD students passed out in 1964. Currently, department has 21 MD and DA (Diploma in Anaesthesiology) 18 seats. Admission to PG seats are annual, MD seats are filled by NEET and DA seats are filled by U.P. Government nominees (PMS Doctors).
- Presently the department of consists of 34 member strong Faculty. It and provides routine and emergency anaesthesia services to the entire Hospital (GM & Associated Hospitals) in specialities like General Surgery, Orthopedics, , Obst. & Gynecology, Ophthalmology, ENT, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Radiotherapy, Psychiatry and superspecialities viz Cardiac Surgery, Neurosurgery, Gastro Surgery, Plastic Surgery, , Pediatric Surgery, Urology and Onco. Surgery.
- The number of surgical procedures receiving anaesthesia annually about 18000- 20000.
- The department is imparting teaching, training to undergraduate and postgraduate students of faculty of medical, dental, paramedical and nursing.
- It is also running a 20 bedded Intensive Care Unit (Critical Care Unit-CCU) under the leadership of Prof. G.P Singh Faculty In Charge at the Emergency & Trauma Centre, with state of art equipments.
- The department has the third Human Patient Simulator (HPS) of the country, where Post graduates get hands on training on basic resuscitation and various other scenarios.
- It is also providing 24 hrs Labour Analgesia Services.
- It has PAC Pre-Anaesthetic Checkup (daily) clinic in OPD building.
- It is running a successful Pain Clinic also for thrice a week (Monday, Wednesday & Friday) with physiotherapy facility.
- For skill development, the department is giving BLS/ACLS training to all the doctors and employees.
- Setting up a state level Ambulance Services under Trauma Centre and a new anaesthesia unit for Organ Transplantation is the future planning.